Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Is Bhutan the hardest country to get into?


Yeahhhh!!! After months and months of waiting for my Bhutan visa to clear, I had to ask myself, "Is Bhutan one of the hardest countries to get into or what?"  Well I guess the answer depends on whether or not you have $250 American dollars to spend on the DAILY tariff (unless you're an Indian or Bangladesh passport holder).  Since my bank account couldn't imagine paying the tariff for a six month stay (an estimated $45,000), I patiently waited for my invitation and visa to be granted in order to get the tariff waived.  Finally, it was granted a few weeks ago and today I'm boarding an airplane back to Bhutan for a once in a lifetime experience: living and teaching in a Buddhist nunnery in the Himalayan Mountains.  Unfortunately, I won't have internet at the nunnery so keeping up this blog may be difficult, however, it would be a dream to one day compile it into a book.  Nevertheless, I can't wait to get back to one of the world's most beautiful places, so breathtaking and special that I have to admit, I think it's worth more than a $250 daily tariff:-).





8 comments:

  1. Come safely, Sabrina. Really glad to know that you finally got your visa. Hope to see you soon. Missed your blog updates. May be you could ask them to give you internet connection there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Langa. You are such a good friend. See you soon.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back again. I was wondering where you were, there you have been :)
    Excited to hear some of your stories, as for the internet connection, you can purchase data card package from Bhutan Telecom without having to install broadband connection...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that information. I heard the data stick is still dead slow, but I got internet on my phone that sometimes works early in the morning lol. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Welcome back Sabrina I hope our paths cross in the next couple of weeks I am sure you will enjoy every minute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear that you are coming back to Bhutan. I know you had a really tight schedule but I think we might will definitely meet up the next time around. Take care!

      Delete
  4. So good to hear from your Sabrina. Keep updating :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sad we didn't get to see each other in Australia but I hope to see you this time in Bhutan.

      Delete